You could go get some aircraft stripper. They have it at most auto part
stores. Or get an orbital sander and 4 or 5 grades of paper and remove it.
I need my tank that way. I have a post above about a café racer. Not sure
about the plastics. You better research that. May have to just rough it up
with sand paper, then prime and paint.