Lots of rss readers, especially podcatchers make use of read/unread as a
state for entries. the GUID is the primary identifier for handling state.
As such, it's generally good to have an identifier that is stable across
minor/common refactors. Output URLs are prone to change when refactoring a
site or theme making. Personally, I think slugs would be a better default
when GUID is unspecified but there are use cases where a UUID is the best
option (esp. podcasts).

You make a good point for not storing a UUID in the post by default, though
I still like it as a configuration option.

I still think it would be good to move away from output URL as the default
GUID value when unspecified in a post.

--George