To me it seems clear that regular users generally prefer it the way it is.
However I do not believe dom96 would make this post if he were not getting
consistent feedback about this front potential adopters. I believe that signal
should not be ignored. If the feature isn't being removed maybe it should be
considered for some slight modification in terms of usage or documentation.
Also I believe this is a microcosm of the larger challenge of user adoption and
the boots-on-the ground recruitment process.

One thought is that since I believe people want things that are familiar or
popular and don't want things that are unfamiliar, if there were some way to
make case insensitivity a cool new programming thing rather than just weird,
that could change the feature into an asset for recruitment. Not that that
would be easy to do. But if someone who was popular and had a reputation as a
programming guru made a post about why case insensitivity is the new better way
to go and that was well received, that would be a thing. In my opinion people
will follow a trend subconsciously and then rationalize all the logical reasons
they did it without knowing that they were actually just following a trend.