I would assume you are talking about the processor extensions like Intel VT
(for IA32) and VT-i (for IA64) or AMD-V (I think that's their name for the
concept).  As I'm sure you know since you are probably using the same laptop
as I am, the Dell D830s don't come with a processor that supports it.  If I
were doing this for real hosting in a data center (as opposed to just having
multiple dev environments to carry around), I'd definitely look for host
hardware that supported hardware assisted virtualization.

That adds another interesting layer to the comparison of options - it's
possible that one hypervisor might perform better than another without
hardware assistance, but the results might reverse with the hardware
assistance.