I agree, that for the most part, cable companies have not figured out
that 2-way communications means consistent availability.  AT&T has been
known to forget that (The great Lilly Tomlin operator skits were based
more on perceived reality from many peoples experience than fiction.)
from time to time.

To bad that where I live, dialup modems are still limited to 28.8, there
is no DSL available, and no cable.
The satellite I tried (wild blue) had such propagation delay (think
2,500 millisecond ping times - our satellite was routed via a downlink
station in upstate NewYork, then routed on AT&T lines to Colorado where
WildBlue was based - so far 14 router hops, before being dropped onto
the open internet in mid-state Colorado somewhere - FTP speed was OK,
but half the time I couldn't do interactive banking with my local bank).
Currently we get about the same speed using Sprint Wireless, but the
latency makes it reasonable.  It is still only half the speed needed to
make hulu.com work for me.  Who know, one day I may be able to get 20th
century data speeds before the 21st century is up or I die. -- Sorry for
the whining.

Over time, the phone company has learned that making service appear
consistent is a better business model for them than making it as good as
it can get everywhere.  So I don't expect much if any more 'good
mediocrity' from them.

Cable companies seem to still think that 90+% uptime is reasonable, and
it may be for broadcast communications, but bi-directional
communications, you will get folks to complain when you get less than
5-9's reliability (I think that is about 56 seconds per year of
unscheduled downtime to put it in perspective).

As bad as Lilly made the phone company sound, it is still a better game
than cable for interactive service, IMHO.