Drew wrote:
> Yeah, it's off topic. However, in my experience the amount of
> knowledge readily available on this list is huge, and I have a lot of
> respect for most of the opinions expressed in matters technical here.
> But lets suppose, that even though we've taken reasonable steps to
> ensure that windows machines on our network are not compromised, the
> powers that be still "want to make sure" that nothing has happened to
> any of them. Short of reinstalling machines just because, or getting
> rid of them and having everyone use linux, what's the best way to make
> certain a windows machine is not compromised? To rephrase, what is the
> best (free or otherwise) software package to use to check for spyware,
> malware, viruses, keyloggers, and other nefarious schemes to take over
> the world that may be brewing on a windows computer? Thanks for the
> feedback.

When I had to worry of such things, a combination of Spybot Search &
Destroy, Webroot Spysweeper, and Ad-Aware. If your anti-virus software
is not up to date and cannot detect it, which it probably cannot detect
all spyware, I would suggest running all of these programs in
succession. It has been a long time since I have had to perform these
steps, so I cannot remember the best order of which to run them. Most of
these would catch most intruders and clean them. Where one failed, the
other picked up the slack.

There are pay versions of most of those programs, but the "free" version
does most of the heavy lifting. It is not a quick process. Especially
when you are dealing with an entire campus of computers.

You could do as MTSU's computer lab does and host NoNX hosts on the
computers. If one of the computers has a problem, restart the session
and try again. Problem solved.

Good luck to you,

Kevin Eldridge