I like to install Windows Defender on every Windows machine, first of all.
 It is actually pretty good and is self-updating and runs tests
automatically on a regular schedule.  Next, I usually install Spyware
Blaster which performs spyware immunization of the machine and various
browsers installed (it doesn't do spyware cleaning, it does spyware
immunization.)  Next, I put on Spybot Search and Destroy to look for any
problems (if I have reason to think there might be some.)  If I have a
really sick machine, I'll get Malwarebytes, which is free and also very
good.
All of those programs are free and I've encountered very few machines that
cannot be cleaned up with that combination, unless they have some large
amount of viruses, in which case, you'll know that something is very wrong
with them.

Chris