I have helpped build a couple of data centers and mange them afterward.
Howards advice is good about the UPSes.  But also monitor the UPSes with
software,
3-4 years is right for some batteries, to long for others, and not long
enough (there is
still good left in them) for a few. ... Dynamic monitoring will tell you
when to replace them.

You need about 10 minutes of 'uptime' on UPSes if you have automatic
generator setup
installed.  I would look at your ENTIRE load (if you want to keep working,
you will need
a coffee pot and microwave too, also lights, but throw away the folks
heaters they keep
blazing under their desk year round.  (Go buy some nice 'company blankets'
they can wrap
their feet in if it is 'to cold'. It is a cheap alternative to power.)

There is safety lights that need to be on UPSes too.

Do a spreadsheet of ALL your power requirements.  Then segregate them into:
  MUST BE UP
  MUST BE UP TO DO BUSINESS
  NICE TO HAVE
  UNPLUG ME NOW

Under desk heaters, lava and mood lamps, and coffee cup warmers go into
'UNPLUG ME NOW'.
You shouldn't be doing that as a business anyway.

MUST BE UP is your computers, network equipment, small or rack style UPSes.
This is the most critical load.

MUST BE UP TO DO BUSINESS includes environmentals (HVAC, general lighting
(but turn most of it off),
fans), desktop computers, laser printers.
Desktop computers MAY be on their own UPSes (I suggest it) and monitored
locally, or remotely.
This category should NOT BE ON UPS, it should be on the generator power.

NICE TO HAVE ... This is the fountain and 'glory lights' out front.  This is
everything that does not
keep cash coming in the door within the next pay period. ... Sales droids
get the day off.

Now that you know how much power you need, before you get online and buy
stuff, consider if it would be
best to reduce power requiremnts first (go to blade servers sooner rather
than later, or upgrade servers
so you can consolidate sooner rather than later).

What would a central big UPS that can be monitored and maintained rather
than little 'rack' UPSes cost?
Does it makes sense to consider it.  UPSes have a power overhead of their
own too.  And monitoring
software costs too.  Don't do without monitoring it!  It can also save on
UPS maintenance (batery/capacitor/
MOV replacements).

Consider having the building wiring 're-engineered'.  So the 'nice to have'
and 'unplug me now' power users
are on their own upses or on commercial power only.  Then the 'MUST BE UP TO
DO BUSINESS" is on
generator power and will be back in a few minutes if commercial power
fails.  The 'MUST BE UPS' must be
ONLY plugged into the managed UPSes, and the UPSes MUST be on generator
power just like the
'MUST BE UP TO DO BUSINESS' equipment.

Now look at what kind of gen sets you need to 'keep it up'.  Personally, I
would rather have N+1 generators.
If you need 2KW, get 3 1KW generators rated for continuous operation, with
automatic control (and remote
control and monitoring) available.  If you need 10KW, think 3 5KW or 6 2KW
generators.  Enough so if one
generator fails, you can keep in business.

I would suggest having generators NOT come on until 30 or 45 seconds of
commercial power is gone, then
turn on and run for 3 to 5 minutes (to make sure they are running and
synchronized) before taking on the UPS
and 'MUST BE UP TO DO BUSINESS' load.

Other things to consider are testing schedules, for UPSes, gensets,
maintenance on all of that, fuel in case
of extended power outages (24 to 72 hours of fuel on site already plumbed
in?).  Contract with fuel company
to keep it 'topped off' after tests, also fuel testing (it goes bad if it
stays stored to long), and commitment to
be 'priority customer' in case of extended outage - the definition of
extended outage depends on the size of
your fuel tanks!).  Then there are the permits, electrical, fuel storage,
etc. depending on your localle.

And another hot button of mine, doing backkups, testing backups, offsite
storage of backups, and testing recovery
from ONLY offsite backups and equipment.  (do it every 6 months).  ... I
have an larger and longer diatribe
on that.

This kind of thing can cost or be done fairly economically with effort.
That is economical compared to the cost
of not being in business because you weren't prepared.  We all hate to pay
for insurance, and that is all this is.

Now aren't you sorry I am on this mailing list :)

IHS ... Jack