I was thinking about your generator and auto-failover need.

I saw a couple of years back at Sears, and a couple of months ago if I
remember right at Rural King,
a 'backup generator' sized for a house.  Probably enough to keep a small
server room (a full rack,
and a room type HVAC unit) running.  It was only a couple of grand - pretty
cheap in the world
of backup power equipment.  Good UPSes for your systems will cost that much
or more.

Anyway, I saw they had tripple fuel models.  Gas, propane, natural gas.  If
I had the choice, I would
plumb it into natural gas as a primary fuel, and gasoline or propane as
secondary.  Gasoline probably
since it is pretty ubiquitous.  You install it on a pad outside, wire it
into an automatic crossover switch,
and you are pretty well done.  The crossover switch, would switch a
sub-panel of breakers from commercial
to generated power within a minute or so and have the generator start
automatically.  Again, only put your
UPSes and critical loads on this, including your HVAC.  If the HVAC needs
are big enough, you might want
one generator for HVAC and another for everything else, depending on running
the numbers of course!

Just add to that some good UPSes that are good for 10 minutes or more, and
you should be good for
cheaper than my initial gut feel was thinking.  Not bad for a small shop.

Let us know what you decide. ... Jack