My 2 cents on this topic:
If you can do this small scale (and this may not apply to your situation)
get a "Kill-A-Watt" and hook up each of your devices through it.  It will
tell you EXACTLY how may watts/amps/etc each device is actually pulling from
the wall.  You can test different devices under different conditions (like
the power used at startup or when running at full load.)

The Kill-A-Watt (and other devices like it) are pretty cheap (under $50) and
tell you exactly what you're using.

As I mentioned, this is good for a small scale project.  If you've got
hundreds or thousands or different devices, then this probably won't work
for you.

Chris