I've done a lot of overclocking over the years and for memory, this is my
take:
If you can get faster memory, for not much more money, and it doesn't take
much more voltage to run at that speed (which would generate more heat and
require more cooling), then it might be worth doing.  If the cost doubles
and the performance only goes up a fraction, then don't bother.

You have to consider that the memory is just part of the overall performance
equation.  Even if the memory at a 50% faster bus speed, it won't make your
entire computer performance 50% faster.  It might only make it 2% faster,
overall, because of other performance limiters, like the CPU, the graphics
card, the hard drive, etc.  Sometimes, you go through all this trouble to
get those couple percentage points of "real-world" performance improvements,
but it takes a lot of time or money or hassle or crashing to get those few
percentage points.

Chris