On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 1:10 PM, Jack <j...@coats.org> wrote:

> The farrier my wife uses talked about another customer of his that has
> one and is getting
> 'certified' in its use.  So he started taking pictures of horses.
> There are lots of issues that
> allows the horse having a 'temperature' to pick up problems before a
> farrier or a vet can find
> them otherwise.  Having 40 horses to take care of, being able to do
> preemptive care would
> be a real benefit.

If this is the purpose, then while this isn't a camera, it would probably
work:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96451

Also check out this thread on make:
http://forums.makezine.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=1950

they don't mention price here, but its a diy flir:
http://geektechnique.org/index.php?id=254

finally, this might help from instructables.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Take-Infrared-Pictures-With-Your-Digital-Camera/

Good luck.
Andrew