Just as an aside on this. I recently downloaded and tried Clonezilla,
G4Linux, and the SystemRescueCD to attempt to move a 40 Gig Partition
that was only about half full- to a 30 gig drive or so. None of them
would let me clone that partition to the drive because of the space
mismatch. This is despite only having about 20 gigs used. (Yes I know
one of the solutions is to use gparted- resize and then clone). Norton
Ghost(at least the older versions), however does it all in one step
and will let you copy larger partitions to smaller drives be resizing
based on free space. (I needed as simple a process as possible because
this was going to have to be done to about 30 machines by users that
were not as IT-savy as I was). It is also important to note that
sometime in the recent past Ghost has undergone some changes and -at
least the non-enterprise version- does not have that ghost.exe we used
to be able to run from a cd or floppy to copy hard drives and
partitions. I'm not sure which version dropped ghost.exe (the dos
executable) but you can try and deciper that from here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_(software). I can only report that
Norton Ghost 14 does not have that executable any longer.
-BenTheMeek