On Feb 18, 2010, at 9:11 PM, Richard Thomas wrote:

> I guess if the controller maintains any information internally

It does.  Well, some of them do.

> , it would probably sync the newest drive to the oldest. Though it also might 
> synchronize the second drive to the first. Though more likely it should throw 
> an error and require the user to pick.

My guess (just a guess, but as a former support tech for RAID controllers it's 
an educated guess) is that what you see will depend on whose controller it is 
and which version of firmware is in it.  I would expect Adaptec, pretty much 
all versions, to throw an error and make you, the operator, decide.  I would 
expect LSI to have different behaviors depending on who the OEM customer was 
(i.e., Intel, Dell etc.).  And I would expect the el cheapo controllers to just 
make a mess.

We had to actually do this kind of stuff in our lab to see what would happen 
when I was working for Intel (who used both Adaptec and LSI controllers in 
their products) because we had customers that did the dumbest stuff you can 
imagine (and a lot that you can't imagine).  But it was a long time ago and I 
just don't remember now.  Not that any of it would be the same now anyway.

I would be interested in seeing the results of any and all experiments.  

Ken

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"NLUG" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected]
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/nlug-talk?hl=en

Reply via email to