I tried a fairly expensive semi-directional antenna mounted in my attic a
few years ago.  There was one channel that absolutely wouldn't come in and
another channel that was sketchy.  I also tried a smaller omni-directional
antenna and got even worse performance.  Mounting an antenna outside is not
an option.

As for me, I can just go cable-card, but this isn't an option for everyone.
 I was hoping there might be a less expensive/complicated solution.

Chris