Scary:
What are the top threats to human existence? Clearly nuclear war is among
them. With North Korea’s reckless provocations and dry-run missile tests,
fear of an atomic attack in the U.S. has just reached an all-time high.
Another threat topping the list is the rise of plagues and pandemics as
influenza viruses have become deadlier, far more contagious, and stubbornly
vaccine resistant. Then there is the fear of artificial intelligence, or
what Elon Musk calls “summoning the demon.” There was a recent report of
Facebook researchers shutting down chat bots for creating their own code
words. In a Frankenstein moment, what programmers thought was *gibberish
was found to be a unique inter-robot language*.