On April 6, 1999 at 16:05, Ken Hornstein wrote:

> But saying something like, "The GPL doesn't inhibit the
> bundling of software package X with a commercial operating system" is
> _completely_ naive.

It depends on what is meant by "bundling".  If refering to linking or
mixture of source code, yes, one has to be careful if the intergration
is with software that is under a non-GPL, or compatible, license.

If you take a GPL application on its own, there is no problem.  For
example, Netscape Communicator includes Movemail in its Unix version.
Movemail is a GPL program, and we know that Netscape Communicator is a
non-GPL application.  Also, do a search for "GNU" and www.sun.com.
You'll see Sun mixing GNU software used within commercial products.

What is _completely_ naive is that GPL software cannot co-exist
with non-GPL software.

I suggest any other general discussions about GPL, and licensing, be
moved to gnu.misc.discuss, or other appropriate forum.

        --ewh

----
             Earl Hood              | University of California: Irvine
      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      |      Electronic Loiterer
http://www.oac.uci.edu/indiv/ehood/ | Dabbler of SGML/WWW/Perl/MIME