nmh_getpass().

> > I think we should change the name. Our function's whole point is to
> > obviate the need for any system-specific getpass(), so we shouldn't
> > have to adhere to their prototypes unless we really want to.
>
> Okay, I've changed it to nmh_getpass().  The only drawback of not calling it
> getpass() is that in the future people may accidentally use plain getpass()
> instead of nmh_getpass() and unless they're on an OS where getpass() fails
> to prompt, they won't know that they shouldn't have done that.

You could add a getpass() function that will collide with the system
definition and, when called, issue an error message and either
a)      Call the real one
b)      Terminate the program.

Compiler messages are unimportant, though an explanatory comment at the
function to explain why it's there would be a Good Thing.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield