Hi David,

> > > Can't we redirect standard input on it to provide the command?
> >
> > I doubt it.
>
> Right, the script man page on some systems cautions against doing
> that.

Actually, thinking about it, it probably would work in this case.

> > I think the test is mhparam(1)'s checking for a TTY on FDs 0, 1, and
> > 2.  OpenBSD's man page says $SHELL is used.  Perhaps the test can
> > make use of this.
> >
> >     $ cat >cmd
> >     #! /bin/sh
> >
> >     mhparam path
> >     $ chmod +x cmd
> >     $ SHELL=`pwd`/cmd script
>
> Don't some systems require that the shell be listed in /etc/shells?

That system I used above has a /etc/shells.  shells(5) says it's used by
chsh(1), and perhaps by a FTP server that wants to check the user is a
valid login user.  (Back before FTP servers had their own configuration
files.)  I suspect script(1) doesn't care.  :-)

--
Cheers, Ralph.
https://plus.google.com/+RalphCorderoy