>I've found a Mac Mini I can SSH into, "15.6.0" if that means anything.

Hm.  I have that at home, but not at work (work is slightly older).

>A git clone, brew install of a few things like openssl, and
>    CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/opt/openssl/include \
>    LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/opt/openssl/lib \
>    ./configure
>has it `make all check' OK.

Hm.  At home, running El Capitan, it works.  So, guess it's a bug in the
older version of "script".  Yeah, THIS works fine on El Capitan:

% script < /dev/null

I'll make sure it's not something I messed up on the other machine.

>On `make distcheck', the configure doesn't seem to have the original
>environment overrides passed on to it.
>    configure: error: openssl/ssl.h not found

You need to pass in DISTCHECK_CONFIGURE_FLAGS (something I always forget