Hi Alan,
Like Bill mentioned above, the reason why the simultaneous approach rasises
questions is that the PK fitted with the simultaneous method can be quite
sensitive to PD model misspecification.
The publicatiosn below discussed the robusteness and performance of several
secinarios within the two methods (simultaneous vs. sequential):

1: Zhang L, Beal SL, Sheinerz LB. Simultaneous vs. sequential analysis
for population PK/PD data II: robustness of  methods. J Pharmacokinet
Pharmacodyn. 2003 Dec;30(6):405-16.

2: Zhang L, Beal SL, Sheiner LB. Simultaneous vs. sequential analysis
for population PK/PD data I: best-case performance. J Pharmacokinet
Pharmacodyn. 2003 Dec;30(6):387-404.

*Murad Melhem, PhD*

*assistant Director Pk/PD*

*Cognigen Corp.*