I think that you may have misunderstood...

Creating the deposit transaction as Kevin suggested isn't a fake
transaction.  You said that your original purchase was on the debit
card.  I'll assume that you spent $200 on the 10th of the months and
were eventually credited back $57.75 on the 12th.

When you receive your bank statement, or you see your statement on-
line, you should see a charge for $200 on the 10th.

Even if the store credited the money back to your credit card, this
original transaction wouldn't change.  You would have a credit on the
12th for $57.75 (this credit you should assign to your clothing bucket
which will reduce the amount MoneyWell shows you spent for clothing).

In the example above (which is a little different from yours), you
wouldn't go back and change the original transaction to $142.75.
While the net change in your account is the same, that $142.75
wouldn't match any receipts that you have, and it wouldn't match any
bank records.  Instead, you should have two transactions.  One on the
10th for $200 and one on the 12th for ($57.75), both assigned to the
clothing bucket.

In the same way, since you actually received the $57.75 in cash, you
would still have two transactions, it's just that the second one is
credited to your cash account rather the checking/debit account (but
both are assigned to your clothing bucket).  While you could go back
and edit the original transaction, and make a split from the $200 into
two $142.25 for clothing and $57.75 transfered to cash, this could
make life complicated.  For one thing, you don't have any receipts
that show $142.75.  Instead, you have a receipt for the first
transaction of $200, and a second receipt for the second transaction
of $57.75.

A second reason your approach could get complicated is because it
doesn't work consistently.  Consider the situation where you tend to
return things a lot.  It's much more complicated to go back and
continually edit the original transactions.  Instead, you would want
to actually show how the money came in to your hands--as a credit back
from the store a few days later from the clothing that you returned.

A third reason would be if you waited a long time after your original
transaction to return the item.  In this scenario,  you will have
already likely reconciled the original transaction.  Would you want to
edit a reconciled transaction?  I wouldn't think so.  Instead, if you
receive the money back a month later on the 15th, you would leave the
Mar 10th transaction alone and then show a deposit into your cash
account on April 15th.  Also, this would show that you actually
overspent your clothing in Mar, and had a change of heart and received
your credit in April.

You could probably take whatever approach you wanted to.  I think that
what Kevin initially described and what I have tried to explain is
more common in the banking/accounting world and would ensure
consistency between your records, the bank's records, and the store's
records.  Creating the second transaction isn't creating a "fake"
transaction--it's simply showing a transaction a few days after the
original purchase where the store gave you money in exchange for
returned merchandise.

How you suggested reconciling the account below with MoneyWell or
Quicken will probably not cause your financial documents to get out of
whack, but it may be difficult a few weeks from now to understand what
actually happened, especially if you were to try and investigate using
bank records or receipts.  I have no doubt it makes sense now, but
since it doesn't actually match the documents you have, it could be
difficult later on.

Anyway, the choice is really up to you whether you'd want to go with
what is more of a standard (which I'd really recommend) or take a
different approach that you're comfortable with.

Grace to you,
Blair