Kevin and Daniel,

One thing that I didn't like about the export and import is that the
export and import functions aren't fully reversible (at least not when
I did this a few months ago since Jan 1).

It may be pretty obscure, but I had been using Alt + Enter in order to
use multiple lines in my memos.  If I remember right, any data that
wasn't on the first line was lost.  I think that I also had problems
with splits, but I could be remembering incorrectly.

Anyway, Daniel, when starting a new, I would leave the Initial Cash
Flow at 0.  Then, I would assign each of my accounts' Starting
Balances to an Income bucket.  This will ensure that you don't have
any more money in your buckets than you actually have in your
account.  I'll expand on your illustration on how I might setup your
accounts.

Personal Checking       $500
Credit Card                     $0
Business Checking       $500
Cash                            $0
---------------------------
Personal Savings        $500

The "---------------------" above is actually an account name.  I
named it that way in my document to serve as a divider between two
different types of accounts.  The accounts above the line are my "cash
accounts."  They are accounts from which I would put money into
envelopes and spend money from envelopes if I were using an envelope
system.  The accounts below the line include savings, investments,
loans, etc.  These are both assets and liabilities that I'd like to
track, but that I do not use for cash flow.  The money in Personal
Savings, or a Mortgage, or a car loan or Retirement Account would not
be used to fund my groceries bucket.  These types of accounts I put
below the dashed line.

Now, when assigning the starting balance for any account above the
line, I assign it to an income bucket.  If you do that in this case,
you'll have $1000 in the Income bucket.  On the other hand, for any
account below the line, you do not assign the Starting Balance to an
Income bucket.

Now, observe the following rules:
Whenever you spend money or deposit money from/into an account above
the line, you assign the transfer to a bucket (again, this is just
like spending money from your envelopes).
Whenever you spend money or deposit money directly from/into an
account below the line, you do not assign the transfer to a bucket.
When you transfer money between accounts and you do not cross the
dashed line, you do not assign the transfer to a bucket (this is just
moving around).
When you cross the dashed line with a transfer, assign the transfer on
the account on the side of the dashed line to a bucket.  Two examples
offered below:
Assume you are investing money in your Savings account from your
Personal Checking account.  This is treated as an "expense," even
though the money remains yours.  It's as if you took money from your
Savings envelope and walked down to the bank and put it in a Savings
account.  You would need to deduct the money from the envelope.  A
transfer has two sides--the withdrawal side and the transfer side.
You can toggle between them in MoneyWell with the "Show Matching"
button.  In this scenario, you would assign the transfer that's in the
account above the line to a bucket--in other words, assign the
withdrawal from Personal Checking to the expense bucket "Savings."
This will decrease the bucket amount as we decrease the amount we have
in Personal Checking.
Now, assume you are moving money from Savings to your Personal
Checking account so that you can pay for Emergency Car Repairs.  This
is as if you went to the bank and withdrew money from Savings to put
into your Emergency envelope.  Again, following the general rule
above, you'll assign the transaction that's in the account above the
line to a bucket.  In this case, the transaction in  Personal Checking
is a deposit.  We'll assign that deposit to your Emergency bucket,
thus increasing the bucket as we increase the amount in Checking.

If you setup MoneyWell the way I suggested above, and your account
balances are in fact accurate, and you assign the Start Date
correctly, and follow the four rules above (which, hopefully, are
fairly intuitive if you understand the types of accounts above and
below the line), the total money you have in your cash accounts will
always equal the total money in your buckets.

Please let me know if something doesn't make sense.

Grace to you,
Blair Watkinson