Hello Bg,

I faced a similar problem and after searching everywhere and checking every
source possible, it turned out to be a faulty URL. An encoding/decoding
problem which when passed through express it caused an infinite loop
somewhere in the express library. So a way to check that might be tracing
(logging) all the URLs handled by your servers and check them when the 100%
spike happens. And see what was the last 10-20 URLs your servers received
(in my case when the spike happened everything stopped including logging)
and  then try to replay those on your development/staging environment. Also
for the getting enough sleep. As a temp solution you can write a 10 lines
bash script which auto restart the node processes (using ps or any other
cpu stats command) when their CPU usage exceed 90% or w/e for more than 1
minute (you can do that by flags) so that you don't have to wakeup and
restart the node processes manually knowing that "forever" and other NPM
packages didn't work for me on the restart part because of the 100% CPU
problem.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/nodejs/832a6462-6055-48eb-b8b2-de4deb8ec1fc%40googlegroups.com.