Are we going to then confine tunes that are considered passe to the
'trash folder'
just because they are considered not suitable for  modern tastes...or
the tastes of those
who are considered suitable to transmit the repetoire.

That defeats the whole object of trying to maintain and define the
tradition
(If that is even possible to do).

Chevy Chase .. a great starter tune (considered passe ?)....was used
as accompaniment to many different
songs in "A Collection Of Songs" (The Newcastle Song Book of 1827).

I would suggest it is definately in the tradition along with
"Cappy" , "Ranting Roaring Willie"  and Canny Newcassel.
Other tunes seem to have fallen by the wayside...such as Chapter of
Donkies and The Quayside Shaver. All from that source,
along with numerous others that are not played much today. Maybe's
they were'nt good enough but it gets back to the personal taste
of influential pipers , and  should we be building the repetoire, or
restricting it based on their tastes.

Personally...
Tom Clough's Holey Ha'penny, leaves me cold..(piping heracy I know)
but I find it more about technical skill than musicality.
I doubt wether it would have been played like that when "Peacock" was
gathering the manuscripts.( But I don't know for sure).

Billy Piggs "Wild Hills" on the otherhand is free, open graced and
has got 'grain'..(dirt in the music as someone put it recently)  and
in the
Scottish Tradition

But to suggest Scottish tunes are not in the repetoire would be
insular considering the proximity of Northumberland to
Scotland. The level of influence is massive especially the further
north you go. Players in Wooler would have a different repetoire
to those in Gateshead for instance..similarly those in Hexham would
be influenced by music of Cumberland. And Vice Versa.
Obvious stuff...but lets not draw a musical boundry around where we
think the music originated, and suggest that it is only
in the repetoire if  it was composed within a certain distance of
Heburn, and only if it is deemed "good enough' by the current
virtuoso's.

We should listen to as much available advice from  good and great
players, and adapt that advice within the range of our individual
capabilities to
  maintain levels of  playing as high as possible. But because of
the  small amount of skilled players influencing the rest...
  I'm concerned that a conservative approach to technique and
repetoire is  limiting rather than distilling. I dont think there is
any danger that
the right way will not prevail...what ever the tastes at the time
are. But to suggest that other styles, technique and  suggested
repetoires are
incorrect based on taste could be constricting.

Also I think the Peacock book is a great source of music of the
time..but is not  the point of variations, an improvisation on the
tune ?, and therefore
should not be adhered to strictly anyway... and maybes we have lost
the art extemporization on the instrument because we stick so
closely to the notes.

Just a thought....

Steve Douglass