Graham Wright writes:
   ... I get a bit confused about the right type of oil for the pipes ....
   Here we go again.  :-)
   As I recall from the last time this came up:
   Neatsfoot oil works but will cause verdigris on the keywork if the
   pipes are allowed to sit unmaintained.
   Olive oil works but will build up a residue over time and it will get
   quite sticky if the pipes are allowed to sit unmaintained.
   Mineral oil (liquid paraffin) works well, leaves no residue, and
   doesn't effect the metal ferrules or keywork.  There are no apparent
   side-effects if you have a serious lapse in the maintenance of your
   pipes.  It was the recommended oil by the NPS technical director and is
   what I'm currently using.   Various experimentation occurred with
   mixing this and Vaseline (a less-liquid paraffin) to yeild a thicker
   mixture.  I'm not 100% certain but Johnson's Baby Oil Gel may be the
   current recommended product; its a slightly thicker version of liquid
   paraffin which doesn't dry out quite as quickly but it comes with a
   scent.  Personally, I have enough things in my life that smell like
   babies, including a real baby.  I don't feel the need to make my pipes
   smell like a baby too.  :-)
       --Mike