On 15 Jan 2009, colin wrote:

> When it appeared in
> the NSP tunebook, did it come about from "oh I know a good one" or are
> there any indications as to an older date/source etc. 1964 isn't that
> long ago to some of us.

The drafts & suggested tunes for the 1970 edition of the 1st tunebook
are pasted into a book which was also used for the 1936 edition.
I have it in front of me - none of them are dated or give sources.
Jimmy Allan is no. 6 of 17, not all of which were printed in tunebook
1- no. 1 for example, is an "Air with variations" by Forster
Charlton, which later became Jim Hall's Fancy

The editors were Forster Charlton, Colin Ross, and Roland Wright.
Only Colin is still with us, and he is unsure where, precisely, he
learnt it. It was just "there".

So at present Barry's theory is as good as any - pinching a good tune
and (sometimes) renaming it being somewhat of a tradition in itself
in the area - and probably elsewhere, for all I know.

I can only make two further suggestions for dating - the track
listings of the two (3?) Cheviot Ranters LPs, and their written
repertoire - which I believe to be in private possession, but
reasonably accessible.

Cheers
Julia