I am writing a reply to Malcolm's message, but in the meantime, I have a
related question which I hope that readers of this list can help with.

The Northumbrian Smallpipes are unusual  in that they have a very small bore
compared to other instruments. Also, the tone holes are often the same size as
the bore.

Is anyone aware of any other wind instruments contemporary or historical which
have a bore comparable with the smallpipes or tone holes about the size of the
bore?

Barry