Hi all,
I seem to be missing out on some of the posts on this subject.

However, futher to the Fenwick gracing advice I've checked the 1931 reprint as well as my 1974 edition and it has the following words below the section on stacccato;

"The learner should note that the staccato style of playing should not be overdone. Excessive cutting of the notes though at times lending a meretricious brilliance to a performance,
is not in accordance with good small-pipe style"

It is interesting that this was left out of the '74 reprint.

Cheers,

Dave

Dave Shaw, Northumbrian and Scottish Smallpipes, Irish Pipes and SHAW Whistles www.daveshaw.co.uk