From: <christopher.bi...@ec.europa.eu>
To: <j.gibb...@imperial.ac.uk>; <gibbonssoi...@aol.com>
Cc: <nsp@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, April 28, 2009 11:43 AM
Subject: [NSP] Re: nps

James Galway playing tin whistle used to be alarming,
though the Chieftains taught him a better, more fluid, style
subsequently.

Only heard him doing so once and this was back in the early Cretaceous or thereabouts. Your description of the "better" style as "more fluid" suggests that he fell into the same trap as classical violinist when presented with a folk tune - they tend to play in a clipped martelé fashion (more suited to, say, Vivaldi or Mozart, their differences nothwithstanding) rather than letting it roll.

This might be similar to the kind of "overdone staccato" that the unexpurgated Fenwick was warning against.

The much maligned Kathryn Tickell is a model of fluidity (but can shell peas with the best of them when she so chooses).