< Maybe your violin teacher was teaching you classical style along
   with the good basic violin technique, and the classical style was
   impeding your traditional style.

   I don't think so, but there's no way of knowing.  I've never claimed to
   be a "good" player of anything (I would describe myself as a devoted
   and conscientious dabbler), but I do claim stylistic awareness.
   Give your  average classical violinist a folk tune and the results can
   be bizarre in the extreme. It also amuses me to hear classical singers
   trying to sing pop/rock songs without changing their style/technique. A
   certain Peter
   Hofmann [1]http://www.peterhofmann.com/index-lebensweg.html used to
   sing "rock classics" in exactly the same way as he sang Wagner -
   dreadful. I have, in my day, sung traditional ballads, classical music
   (baritone), early music (countertenor), pop rock, blues rock, progrock
   and even country (backing vox only - I don't really like country, but
   being with a band was fun at the time) without being "good", but
   without having any complaints about lack of stylistic awareness
   either.

   The person who disapproved of my improved technique was capable of
   being dismissive of, for example, Stephane Grappelly as well as the
   entire classical establishment. and indeed of anything too
   sophisticated, including Genesis, Gentle Giant and Steely Dan q.v.

    < Two styles can be inconsistent. Doing one well might well mean doing
   the other badly. A classical violinist might try to play quavers equal,
   others such as a baroque violinist  - or Willy Taylor - definitely
   wouldn't.

   Yup,  I've played baroque and classical too - under some pretty good
   conductors such as Jaap Schroeder, Hans-Martin Linde and Guy van Waas
   (with the latter of whom I am performing (on viola) both Vivaldi and
   Haydn this very evening (concertos from Estro Armonico and Schoepfung
   (Creation) respectively - unfortunately on modern instruments).

   But with the nsp, all good players, including Kathryn Tickell and Billy
   Pigg, have (have had) a largely detached technique, and crux of the
   argument is a stylistic point as to whether a 'good style' can include
   open-fingered ornament. If Chris and Adrian are at the 'wee free' end
   of the spectrum, all good players are some sort of protestant at
   least.....

   I'm glad you agree Kathryn and Billy were "good players".

   The justification for the 'wee free' position is that if  you allow
   open fingering in some contexts but not others, then bad players (they
   exist) will take these contentious elements as the basis of their
   'style' and ignore the closed-fingered basic technique.

   The bad players probably don't give much consideration at all to what
   they are doing (this is why they are bad) and as such are hardly of
   much relevance. let them get on with it. there are bad players of all
   instruments.

   If religious analogies are felt inappropriate in this forum, try
   the  Judaean People's Liberation Front  instead!

   I do hope you mean the People's Liberation Front of Judaea!

   Chirs