I absolutely agree with you, Colin.?There are many ways to play a tune.??

I find even with music I myself have composed, that a lot depends on my mood -
a piece I wrote as a slow air can, some days, suit me better as a lilting
hornpipe or a waltz.?? In fact some of my duets have different "seconds"
depending on whether the performers wish to play them fast or slowly, and which
completely alter the character of the tune.?? ?Of course, there are pieces
which are definitely conceived for?certain tempi.?? For instance, in the duets
I have just mentioned with different "seconds" - if you play the "fast version"
slowly it will sound "empty" and may ?drag mournfully; and if you play the
"slow version" fast (with its?more complicated and fuller counter melodies) it
will probably sound a horribly hectic?mess.

The other factor is the association we all tend to have with tunes we know
well.?? Many Northumbrians would?probably be surprised (shocked?) to learn that
"Blow the Wind Southerly" and "The Water of Tyne" ?can be superb, quick,
Viennese waltzes.

When we incorporate the "Ganglat" in question in?a Scandinavian folk dance
presentation we do it as at a lilting walking pace - i.e. a crotchet/quarter
note more or less = MM 90

Composers are entirely at the mercy of performers, who can either make or
murder them.

(Computers seem to do likewise, altering spacing, throwing in extra letters,
dozens of undesired question marks, etc.)

Sheila

Sheila

??