Hi all

I've just returned from teaching beginner smallpipes and Irish pipes at Glasgows Celtic connections festival.

Whilst I am a big fan of the Tear drop bag for my own pipes, all my teaching pipes are on Dagg style sausage bags. For whatever reason these are easier to casually fit to more generously bosomed ladies. I also carry a box full of blowpipes ranging from one to six inches in length so that all my students can be comfortably accomodated in the pipes. Sometimes 2 or 3 have to be tried out during a days instruction as the student settles in.

Regarding fitting a bag I try to get the following ;
If the elbow is place back against a wall and the fingers bent at the middle joint measure from the wall
to the end of the bent joint.
I then make the distance from the middle of the blowpipe stock hole to the whipping on the chanter stock
equal to that length or a centimetre or so longer.
Usually this will give a very relaxed grip on the chanter for the left hand.

All the best

Dave

Dave Shaw, Northumbrian and Scottish Smallpipes, Irish Pipes and SHAW Whistles
www.daveshaw.co.uk