     From: Francis Wood <oatenp...@googlemail.com>
     Subject: [NSP] Re: Reeds
     To: "Anthony Robb" <anth...@robbpipes.com>
     Cc: "Dartmouth NPS" <nsp@cs.dartmouth.edu>, neihutch...@yahoo.com
     Date: Friday, 9 July, 2010, 10:48

   Hello Anthony,
   I hesitate to disagree here since your suggestion is made in a spirit
   of generosity.
   However, I'm not sure it's best to  suggest using inferior reeds as an
   aid to learning. Reeds that function very well carry a great deal of
   information. Poor reeds do not.
   An expert reed-maker may perhaps be able to take reeds that "aren't
   really there" and improve them. A beginner is likely to make them a lot
   worse without really understanding why.
   There are plenty of resources available for anyone who wants to learn
   about all this. Good reeds are obtainable and even though they will
   differ remarkably from maker to maker they are all in themselves
   instructive. Well-written and clear information is to be found from
   several sources. There's Colin's reed-making book and Richard and Anita
   Evans's web pages:
   [1]http://www.evansbagpipes.co.uk/pipes/reedmake/chant.htm
   With a good reed in hand as an example, together with any of the
   available instructions, and with the advantage of a robust
   frustration-tolerance threshold, anyone can make a bunch of reeds.
   At the beginning, most will be awful and one or two may be "not really
   there". With a lot of luck, there may even be a good one.
   This is similar to the 'infinite number of monkeys & infinite supply of
   reed-cane' approach though with much better chance of success. I can't
   see why it shouldn't work.
   Best wishes,
   Francis
   On 9 Jul 2010, at 09:58, Anthony Robb wrote:

   >   Neil,
   >   I feel a bit guilty about this. My regular piping class
   participants
   >   snapped up the first dozen or so. In fact one of them got one of
   them
   >   working at Billy Pigg type tone and pitch but as we play at A = 446
   Hz

   <[3]neihutch...@yahoo.com>
   >   wrote:
   >
   >     From: [4]neihutch...@yahoo.com <[5]neihutch...@yahoo.com>
   >     Subject: [NSP] Reeds
   >     To: "Dartmouth NPS" <[6]...@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   >     Date: Friday, 9 July, 2010, 2:59
   >
   >       I posted a question about reeds a while back and got some great
   >      answers. Anthony Robb
   >      suggested that "perhaps we should start a free bank of working
   reeds
   >      that
   >         "aren't really there" for enthusiastic, would-be makers to
   mess
   >      around
   >         with?".
   >      Does anyone out there have any such reeds available? I'd like to
   try
   >   my
   >      hand at reed making in the not too distant future and would be
   >   grateful
   >      for any "wonky" reeds that anyone could send me to have a go
   >   scraping,
   >      trimming etc.
   >      I'm in Australia - Neil
   >      --- On Fri, 19/3/10, Anthony Robb <[1][7]anth...@robbpipes.com>
   wrote:
   >        From: Anthony Robb <[2][8]anth...@robbpipes.com>
   >        Subject: [NSP] Reeds
   >        To: "Dartmouth NPS" <[3][9]...@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   >         Francis wood wrote:
   >         Unwelcome squeaking can arise from many causes (including
   mice in
   >      the
   >         bag, though I'm not qualified to advise on a solution to that
   >   one)
   >      and
   >         it takes a good amount of experience to determine what is
   really
   >      wrong.
   >         What should an isolated beginner do in such circumstances?
   >         Hello Francis, I know the feeling. 6 months after getting my
   set
   >      from
   >         Bill Hedworth I  found myself alone in the Birmingham area
   >   (Sutton
   >         Coldfield)  and stuck for any adivice on reeds. There were no
   >         professional makers whatsoever in those days but I'd made
   contact
   >      with
   >         Bob Reid who posted me 6 chanter reeds (I think about a quid
   >   each)
   >         and I set to work wrecking them and getting to know what not
   >   do!
   >      At
   >         that time Finbar Furey lived in Coventry and we got together
   >   few
   >         times and he made me a copy of one of Bob's reeds but the
   Irish
   >   seem
   >         go for softer cane which didn't really have the tone I
   wanted.
   >         No amount of watching or getting advice can match first-hand
   >         tweaking and after getting through about -L-120 worth of
   reeds at
   >         today's money I had learned a lot and was reasonably
   proficient
   >   and
   >         setting reeds (thank you Colin Ross!) to suit my pipes. When
   >   came
   >         make my own first reed (used in her F set by Carole on Cut &
   Dry
   [5][11]http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/%7Ewbc/lute-admin/index.html

   [12]http://uk.mc5.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=anth...@robbpipes.com
   [13]http://uk.mc5.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=anth...@robbpipes.com