----- Original Message ----- From: "Julia Say" <julia....@nspipes.co.uk>

This can also be seen on some modern sets (various makers), although I have been taught to put a rod down the bore before drilling to prevent it happening! (And had
the bore inspected closely to check I'd done so!)
Sets have been observed where the maker has absent-mindedly drilled right through
the far side, I believe.

Whereas I can't claim NEVER to have touched the far side of the bore (a good tune title?) I'll just say that with care, a flat-ended drill and delicacy of touch, there should be no need for rods down the bore. You just stop the drill before it goes too deep!
Answering Colin's earlier post:
until the invention of the tuning fork, there was no "set" or
"standard" pitch as such.

In fact, according to the latest research (Bruce Haynes' fairly definitive book "The story of A - a history of performing pitch") even in the late 16th/early 17th century there were three main standardised pitches generally recognised across Europe, and the fact that there were only a few centres where the best wind instruments were made helped to determine this - but it's a complex subject, best summed up in the biblical quotation "He that toucheth pitch shall be defiled therewith".

Very interesting discussion though. Thanks for all the contributions.

Philip