Interesting speculation there, Julia.

One notable thought is the difference between modern and earlier-centuries
perception of this matter of the work marks in the bore. They are very common
in Reid instruments which all show an extraordinary degree of craftsmanship.
I've just had a look inside an exquisite ivory musette bore, and yes, the point
of the drill is very visible. It clearly wasn't thought very important in the
18th and 19th century when instrument design developed as a result of enormous
quantities of experimentation and experience in certain families.

Personally, I'd avoid leaving those marks. But I'm grateful to those early
makers who did, because it leaves unequivocal evidence of the intended position
of those tone-holes, no matter how much they have been altered.

effect on standing waves, I strongly doubt (and this is just a guess) that it
would have any effect on standing waves. Consider that the volume of the cavity
caused by a tiny drill point is virtually nothing compared with the volume of
the huge cavity that lies immediately opposite; the tone-hole itself.

The other thing to consider here is the nature of the cylindrical bore. We
expect cylindrical bores to behave in predictable ways because that's what
acousticians tell us. To a large extent thats reliable wisdom, but what applies
to a clarinet is certainly not true of a small-pipe bore which may be anything
from 4mm (very early) to 5+mm (some recent examples).

A small pipe-bore cannot function as a theoretical cylindrical bore because of
the relatively huge tone-hole cavities. The same is true of a clarinet but the
relative disturbance is proportionally much less. It would be nice to think of
a well made small-pipe bore as analagous to a long regular and smooth surfaced
walking stick. In practice, its effective shape is closer to some knobbly stick
pulled out of a hedge. Even if you have sanded it and varnished it afterwards!

Even with such an irregular effective bore-profile, it still works best when
coated with oil.

I wonder what is the best kind of oil to use? Does anyone have any ideas on
that?

Yours mischievously,

Francis