I have been enjoying the thread discussions since I joined the list serve back
in the fall.  I have now been playing my F set since late November and have
learned about five tunes on the 17 key chanter.  I get tired easy and have some
squeaks from the lower registers but otherwise I am making nice progress thanks
to John Liestman 's book.  I am now ready to have a lively discussion with
whoever will entertain me.  I have LOTS of questions so please only respond if
you are willing to deal with stupid questions.

  The most immediately perplexing issue is that I was sure the set was F+ when
I purchased it from my friend in Italy but the chanter tends to slightly flat
of E with what I believe to be medium bag pressure but I can easily get it to
Concert F to play with my wife's accordion.  This exercise has also revealed
that I know way too many Irish and old time American tunes on fiddle and banjo.
 I want to concentrate my musical life at the moment on border music.  Which
tunes should we learn over the next months pipes aside?  Is there a good source
of music with recordings to help?  I have Liestman's book and am working on
those tunes on the pipes.  I hunger for more.  My local musician friends are
also intrigued though I have been laughed at more than once when I pull out my
set.  My goal is to form the only legit Northumbrian/border band in
Mississippi! It is nonsensical to me that Irish music has such a choke hold on
our region given that the lineage of the majority of US South!
 erners is lowland Scotland/northern English/ northern Irish.  I recognize lots
of the border tunes I have heard from my old time fiddle involvement.

Thanks

Reid