I was under the impression that if cavities get carved inside a bore (not just pin-pricks of drill points) with the cavity around the sound hole area, it will reduce the pitch of that particular note to a slight extent in the bottom octave (and more so in the second octave, which is out of scope for NSP), so it may save a chanter fill and re-drill operation by "spooning" in the bore around the hole (let's say a bottom E that is too high).

Dave S