Democratic India has done it with a free press and without state sanctioned
mass murder and torture.

From: nswolves@googlegroups.com [mailto:nswolves@googlegroups.com] On Behalf
Of Steven Millward
Sent: Wednesday, 20 April 2011 6:55 PM
To: nswolves@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [NSWolves] Politically savvy football fans?

I think I'm the only one that struggles with the China problem.  I've
mentioned this to others and they've been horrified.  But...

I realise that there are human rights problems there in vast number.
However, the Chinese government has succeeded in moving hundreds of millions
of people out of abject poverty over the last two decades.  I seriously
doubt if that could have been acheived in a free democracy.  I come back to
the Vulcan philosophy that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the
few.  There might be a million people who are in jail for political crimes
but what if the life of hundreds of millions has been improved?

Tough one eh?