Gerben,
Apologies for posting any confusion.

1. The only package fink in use is the tetex placeholder system-tetex I did
previously have fink tetex but now only have i-Installer tetex almost
latest.

2. The texroot report no longer occurs presumably I have cleaned up my
installation further. The command now aborts simply with the subpath
message.

texfont --en=8r --ve=urw --co=courier --so=auto

 TeXFont 1.5 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 2000-2001 (STILL BETA)

    processing aborted : unknown subpath ../fonts/afm/urw/courier

                --help : show some more info

Locate gives the following list suggesting that texfont is not looking at
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex for fonts

locate /fonts/afm/urw/courier
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/fonts/afm/urw/courier
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/fonts/afm/urw/courier/ucrb8a.afm
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/fonts/afm/urw/courier/ucrbo8a.afm
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/fonts/afm/urw/courier/ucrr8a.afm
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/fonts/afm/urw/courier/ucrro8a.afm

Texfont help suggest that I should use the following command but the same
unknown subpath is returned.
texfont --en=8r --ve=urw --fontroot=/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex
--co=courier --so=auto

In the file
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/context/config/texexec.ini
There is a line which seems very odd and PC like
set  TeXFontsPath       to  l:/tex/texmf;l:/tex/texmf-local;

I have commented out this line and set TeXFontsPath to other more likely
values like texmf, texmf.tetex all do not effect the unknown subpath.

I'm now beyond the end of my knowledge.
--
Nigel