On Mon, 13 Oct 2003, John Culleton wrote:

> I installed the latest version of TeXLive 2003 (the so-called demo
> version) and did the fmtutil and texhash bit.  When I ran a job for a
> customer, texexec hung up at the point where a graphic was being
> loaded. So I went back to last year's texlive in a terrible hurry.
> That worked fine.

What platform?  I tried to install various rc's on Win98 and ran into
numerous problems:

1.  the perl scripts were confused by the embedded spaces in the default
"c:\Program Files\.." install path.  In general, ConTeXt does not play
well for paths that have embedded spaces.

2.  the perl scripts search the PATH directories and supply a the full
pathname of programs (e.g., /texLive/bin/Win32/kpsewhich.exe) to perl's
backtick.  This failed when running texexec.exe in a command.com window,
Replaceing the "/" with "\" helps, but there were too many places to fix
in the time available, and meanwhile the disk on the system I was
borrowing died (due, I am quite sure, to overextertion caused by the
direct searching of the texmf trees for texexec.ini when kpsewhich failed
to run).

On Mandrake linux 9.0 and SGI Irix 6.5 TeXLive 2003 (full install) works
fine (using the current cont-tmf.zip which is a few days newer than the
version in TeXLive 2003).  The perl scripts have not changed.

> Earlier, when TeXLive 2003 was still in beta they left out texexec
> altogether.

On unix they just forgot to make some symlinks, the perl scripts were
there.  On Win32, I used Active State perl.exe to run the scripts.

> Has anyone else tried Context using graphics on TeXLive 2003? I hate
> to report a bug to Tug if my experience is unique. OTOH if the iso
> image is defective in some way I do need to let someone know pronto.

I'm not sure about the demo image.  If you are using Win32, does
texexec.exe find texexec.ini using kpsewhich?

--
George N. White III  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>