Hello Thomas,

> These are my first forays into the unknown territories of Metapost.

You'll enjoy your journey once you get MP working.

> The following code is copied verbatim from the matafun-manual:

[...]

> But I don't see anything. The log shows that metapost calculated a
> background, but I don't see anything. What am I doing wrong?

Your complete log might be interesting. Did you enable the write18
feature in texmf.cnf (not necessary, but nice since it lets tex
generate the MP graphics on the fly)? Did you put any text between
\starttext and \stoptext? Do you have \protectbufferstrue in
cont-sys.tex?

Patrick