Matt Gushee wrote:

Hello--

I have noticed a couple of cases where ConTeXt macros seem to have
confused left and right sides:

1) I want to format some text in two columns, where the left column
   is right-aligned and the right column is left-aligned. I found I
   had to do this:

\defineparagraphs
[ingredient]
[n=2, before={\blank[small]},after={\blank[small]}]
\setupparagraphs
[ingredient] [1] [width=.16\textwidth,align=left,style=bold]

nowadays, using \starttabulate[|pl|pr|] is the prefered way

forthermore, think of right as raggedright

2) In order to format format headers for a book so that the book title
   appears on the left-hand page and the section title on the right, I
   had to do this:

     \setupheadertexts [] [section] [title] []

   ... which, as I read the documentation, is in the opposite order to
   what it should be.

Is this a bug in ConTeXt, or have I misconfigured something?

no, think of spreads