> auto-lettrines (dropcaps etc) are kind of complex in the
> sense that it's not
> trivial to pick up the first 'something' in a paragraph in a
> robust way [we may
> want some extension to tex for that (so we have something to
> discuss during our
> trip to eurotex -)
>
> Hans

If I may chime in:

Also, automated drop caps (if that is what you refer to) is not a
feasible way to go if high typographic quality is important. Different
typefaces and different characters need different level of protruding
into the left margin, as well as other actions of tweaking. As an
example, the automated drop caps in some of the more famous DTP programs
are useless.

Best regards,
Mats Broberg