Thanks Adam for the suggestions on the wiki page.

You point out that I can use \definelayout for odd and even pages.
I assume I can use this command in place of \setuplayout?

I had a problem using \definelayout. I found that I had to use a
\setuplayout before my text, or the first page would not get formatted.
Is the ConTeXt code right below?

Also, is there any way to change the layout for the first page?

\definelayout[first] [....

Thanks

Paul

\part{}

\definelayout[odd][
 topspace=.5in, % the space at the very top of the page
 backspace=3in,  % the space in the gutter
 header=2in, % the space for headers
 footer=2in, % the space for footers
 leftmargin=1in, % the space for margin notes
 rightmargin=1.5in, % the space for right margin notes
 width=3in, % the width of the body text
 height=7in % the height of the body text
]

\definelayout[even][
 topspace=.5in, % the space at the very top of the page
 backspace=3in,  % the space in the gutter
 header=2in, % the space for headers
 footer=2in, % the space for footers
 leftmargin=1in, % the space for margin notes
 rightmargin=1.5in, % the space for right margin notes
 width=3in, % the width of the body text
 height=4in % the height of the body text
]

\setuplayout
% the header for the first page of part 1
\definetext[partStart1][header][\vbox{Chapter 1 \vskip5pt Author}]
\setuphead[part][header=partStart1]