On 1/25/2023 6:24 PM, Mikael Sundqvist via ntg-context wrote:
On Wed, Jan 25, 2023 at 11:02 AM Otared Kavian via ntg-context
<ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:

Hi,

Thanks Hraban for the information and the link to the article by Hans and
Mikael about the math fonts in Lucida.

I very much appreciated that article: one sees how the handling of almost
impercebtile details in ConTeXt make us to adhere to and love LuaMetaTeX… So a
great thank you to Hans and Mikael for all this work!

Regarding the details of vertical alignment in math, I wonder whether the
to define for instance a new variable) should be alos centered around the math
axis, as explained in the article. For instance in the following example

\setupbodyfont[lucidaot,12pt]
\starttext
\startformula
f(x) := -(u|x) := - \langle u, x \rangle
\stopformula
\stopformula
\startformula
f : A \longrightarrow B
\stopformula
\stoptext

it seems to me that the lower dot (or square…) in the semicolumn of the first
formula (in front of the equal sign) is lower than in the second formula.

Best regards: Otared

Thank you for the kind words, Otared,

Regarding the colons (and other symbols with "dots"), I would say it
is still not optimal in Lucida (and difficult to make it "consistent",
there are too many symbols that are at the moment different). But in
your example you can use \colonequals and \colon if you prefer. They
are centered around the math axis.

Best, Mikael

\setupbodyfont[lucidaot,12pt]
\starttext
\startformula
f(x) := -(u|x) \colonequals - \langle u, x \rangle
\stopformula
\startformula
f : A \longrightarrow B \breakhere
f \colon A \longrightarrow B
\stopformula
\startformula
\mathaxisbelow := \colonequals : \colon
\stopformula
\stoptext
There is a (experimental as we played with it and then got distracted) feature that makes some symbols adapt to spacing in the input.

\starttext

    \setupmathematics[autospacing=yes]

    \setupmathematics[collapsing=2]

    \im{A:B} and \im{A : B}\par
    \im{A:=B} and \im{A := B}\par
    \im{A\colonequals B} and \im{A {\colonequals} B}\par

\stoptext

the second line is not yet ok as collapsing the := (old feature) comes at the wrong time when we do autospacing (something Mikasl and I now need to discuss and test)

This autospacing is part of some larger effort, for instance we can also auto handle fences and so. All this relates to minimizing the input and make it a bit more natural. Think (1,2) vb (1, 2) where we - due to the many more classes that we have - want spacing to be right.

All will be revealed in the upcoming releases and the upcoming 3145 page math manual.