Am 11.01.24 um 22:04 schrieb Bruce Horrocks:

1. "ConTeXt" should be the biggest word - or as an obvious title for the
poster, away from the actual drawing.

This will be only a part of the poster. I imagine a 3x3 grid with a title above and some information (website etc.) below.
The 9 elements of the grid will be
- such a diagram that explains the building blocks / general workflow
– the diagram of the layout areas
– the project structure (environment, product, component)
– some examples of code and results
I wanted to use the “christmas card” squares for borders around and inbetween.

2. Don't add the "MkXL" bit - it's a distracting detail that no one needs to know at this
stage. Also it looks like "Mk 40" in Roman numerals, or extra large.

ok. But “extra large” is intentional, I guess.

3. I though Hans had stopped using the TeX style capitalisation now i.e. just
"Context"?

Hans uses different versions.
We use “context group”, but I keep ConTeXt; esp. in the context of LaTeX (DANTE booth!), I’d like to stress that it’s still TeX.

4. It's not clear whether the intersecting boxes are simply decorative or meant
to present some sort of logical structure. I'm happy for it to be decorative,
in which case fewer labels might be better.

ConTeXt “wraps” the LuaMetaTeX binary, since it handles the input as well as the output. I wasn’t sure how to show what controls what.

5. Similar to the box structure comment is that it's not clear which words I
should be looking at. Ask yourself: what word(s) do I want the viewer to
remember when they walk away?

6. Consider swapping the TeX and MetaPost circles so that Lua, MetaPost and TeX are read
left to right as they appear in the acronym LMTX. Perhaps invert the "triangle"
so that there are two circles at the top.

My first idea was to show that TeX and MP are under Lua control, but Hans disagreed. So while the 3 subsystems interact, I wanted to keep TeX on top.

7. It doesn't really tell the viewer that Context is a typesetting system - it
looks like it is a system for producing XMLs and PDFs. (Which is what it is
but... much more)

I’ll show some typography on the poster, and there will be books around.

8. Don't forget space for a URL and/or a QR code to the Contextgarden website.

See above.

Sorry if the above sounds harsh - not meant to be - just brain storming.

No problem, thank you!

I have a suggestion though. Use the Christmas card code / memory game code to
produce patterns to use as the dots in the QR code? If the QR is large enough
for people to distinguish the individual dots then it would provide a talking
point? Or maybe have a copy of the card game to hand and challenge them to find
a randomly drawn card in the QR code?

I don’t think I understand your intention. I wouldn’t construct a QR code out of other stuff, it would become too big.

Hraban

maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl /