On 2/19/24 13:06, Ursula Hermann wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> I have done the new download at Work. After compiling is always the same:
>
> Command Line:   context.exe --synctex=-1 "context-test.tex"
> […]
> startup error : no format file given, quitting

Dear Uschi,

it is really hard to know what is wrong with your installation (other
than it ConTeXt is not able to find your format file).

Sorry if this message is painfully verbose, but I will try not to take
anything for granted (so I don’t overlook anything relevant).

Could you save a new "test-doc.tex" file in your desktop directory
(which would be named "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\test-doc.tex" [including
its full path])?

"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\test-doc.tex" should contain:

  \starttext
  \input zapf
  \stoptext

Please, compile it by simply invoking ("cd %USEPROFILE%\Desktop\" might
be required before):

  context test-doc

If you get the same error message:

> startup error : no format file given, quitting

You might try (to make the format file):

  context --make --all

Then, try compiling again (run "context test-doc").

If you get the same error message, let’s try a brand-new installation
(not removing any existing one).

Get http://lmtx.pragma-ade.nl/install-lmtx/context-mswin.zip (if you use
Windows 32bt) or
http://lmtx.pragma-ade.nl/install-lmtx/context-win64.zip (for Windows
64bit) into "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\".

Unzip the downloaded file to a newly created folder in your desktop
("%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\context").

Double-click on "install.bat" that you just uncompressed.

You have to add the new path, so that Windows may find your executables.

Open a new terminal (I guess it is called “command prompt” [or
»Eingabeaufforderung«] in Windows-parlance) and paste (if you have
ConTeXt for 32bit):

  set PATH=%PATH%;%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\context\tex\texmf-mswin\bin

Or this (if you use ConTeXt for 64bit):

  set PATH=%PATH%;%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\context\tex\texmf-win64\bin

Then, on the same window (since this only sets paths for the current
session), run:

  mtxrun --generate && cd %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\ && context test-doc.tex

Just in case you wonder, the first command is required for any brand-new
install. The second command sets the desktop as your current directory
(where you should have "test.doc.tex"). And the third command compiles
that source document.

If none of all my previous suggestions works, sorry but I cannot figure
out what might be preventing ConTeXt from finding the format files.

Just in case it might help,

Pablo

maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl /