Sanjoy Mahajan wrote:
> Meanwhile I've been experimenting in baby steps, and numbering=yes does
> what I want, as does specifying nothing about numbering.  But
> numbering=nocheck doesn't stop it, so I'm confused by what the nocheck
> option does (doesn't cause me problems since the default is what I want,
> but I'm curious).

even more minimal:

\useMPlibrary[dum]

\setupfloats[numbering=nocheck]

\starttext
\input tufte \placefigure[rightmargin]{first} {\externalfigure[dummy]} \par
\input knuth \placefigure[top]        {second}{\externalfigure[dummy]} \par
\stoptext

does commenting the no check line makes a differnece?

nocheck: top=2, margin=1
yes    : top=1, margin=2  (default behaviour)