On Sun, 29 Apr 2007, Chris Rawnsley wrote:

> On 29/04/07, Aditya Mahajan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> On Sun, 29 Apr 2007, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>>> Well, then I need to make some more changes in the module. Since, you
>>> are up against a deadline right now, and are willing to suffer the
>>> delay caused by this module, I will trying hacks to make this work.
>>
>> Eh.. I meant, "I will _stop_ trying hacks to make this work."
>
> That's cool. I think it works *more* than adaquetly as it stands now.
>
>> Hopefully, the next release of vim module will have a robust solution.
>
> Maybe if you ripped out the syntax highlighting part of ViM you could
> make a program with faster start up and execution.

This is way beyond my technical skills.

> Alternatively, you could use something like Scintilla (
> http://scintilla.sourceforge.net/ ).

I used vim since that is the only editor that I use and know well. In
principle, any editor component can be used. If you know how to get
Scintilla to generated a parsed output of its syntax highlighting, it
is easy to use scintilla instead of vim. The trouble is, I do not know
much about scintilla.

> If you could add some mechinisms for recognising cached files.
> There are always *-vimsyntax.tmp these files created. Maybe on first
> runs of TeXexec these should always be created and overwrite ones left
> over. Then when TeXexec repeats itself however many times it does, it
> just reads from those *-vimsyntax.tmp files. I'm sure you already have
> some ideas of your own though ;)

There was a bad design decision in the module, which kind of makes
this difficult. When I look at the whole thing again, I will try to do
it in a way so that the files are not parsed on every run. There is
also the option of using texmfstart --ifchanged, so that vim is called
only if the file has changed. The main delay is in starting up and
stopping vim. So, another option will be to convert all the files in a
single shot at the end of a run, and then include them later. Last
time I could not get these to work. But now that someone else is also
using the module, I will give it a shot again.

Aditya